Rockstar Games’ Red Dead Redemption 2 is out now for console players and immediately upon its release, it garnered acclaim from both critics and fans with praise being geared towards the narrative, graphics and performances. It should be of no surprise that the title saw an amazing opening weekend, but what may come as a shock is that it was one of the biggest ever in entertainment for retail.
In a recent press release via Business Wire, the team made the following announcement:
“Rockstar Games is proud to announce that the critically acclaimed Red Dead Redemption 2 has achieved the single-biggest opening weekend in the history of entertainment. With over $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through during its first three days, Red Dead Redemption 2 is the second-highest grossing entertainment launch of all time next to Rockstar Games’ previously released title, Grand Theft Auto V, which achieved over $1 billion in retail sell-through in three days.”
Rockstar then outlined several achievements from the game:
- Biggest opening weekend in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases
- Second biggest launch (three days) in retail sell-through across all entertainment releases
- Biggest entertainment launch of 2018
- Most pre-ordered full game ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest day one full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
- Biggest first three days full game sales ever on PlayStation Network
The gaming company also mentioned that Sony has confirmed the sales record being broken, stating that Red Dead Redemption 2 had the highest ever in pre-orders and day one sales that first weekend.
Red Dead Redemption 2 is available now on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.