Advertisements

E3 2020 Cancelled Due to Coronavirus Crisis

It’s official: E3 2020 has been cancelled.

Today, the Entertainment Software Association has announced that it’s 2020 E3 event will not happen dude to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

“After careful consultation with our member companies regarding the health and safety of everyone in our industry…we have made the difficult decision to cancel E3 2020,” the Entertainment Software Association, which organizes E3, said in a statement Wednesday morning. The event was scheduled to take place between June 9-11.

Citing “overwhelming concerns,” the ESA said that it was in the best inerest of everyone that the event does not proceed, calling the COVID-19 outbreak an “unprecedented global situation.”

The company is currently exploring other options for an “online experience to showcase industry announcements and news in June 2020.” ESA is also in the process of talking to exhibitors and attendees with information about “providing full refunds.”

E3 marks the latest convention to be cancelled due to the coronavirus. Just last week, SXSW announced that it would cancel its 2020 event, but unlike E3, would not be handing refunds to those set to attend.

The famed gaming convention is among the world’s largest in the world. E3 is hosted as the Los Angeles Convention Center, and usually draws approximately over 200 exhibitors. The convention only recently allowed the general public to attend, with the 2019 event drawing around 66,000 fans.

Phil Spencer, who heads Xbox, addressed the news on Twitter:

Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: